Talking with our partner about difficult subject can be super uncomfortable.
But, not talking about them can do more damage to your relationship than just having the discussion.
Use these tips for talking about any subject - money, sex, kinks, feelings, parenting styles, household chores, etc.
1) Have a set time to discuss the topic. And clue your partner in so they can come prepared for the discussion. An example: "Hey, I'd really like to talk about our finances this weekend. Can we plan a time that we can both sit down and look things over?"
2) Have an open mind and listen carefully. Their thoughts/beliefs/feelings are not a dig toward yours. This is simply a conversation to get on the same page.
3) Avoid alcohol when having difficult discussions. Yes, it can seem like a good idea, but it can very quickly turn into something else.
4) Be mindful of whether the conversation is getting off topic or emotions are becoming too elevated. If they do, simply take a break and come back to it later. Example of how to do this: "I think we're getting off topic. Maybe we should table this for now and talk about it again tomorrow." or "I think we're both getting too emotional about this - how about we take a break and gather our thoughts and talk about it again next week?"
5) Remember you're a team - this isn't about you vs them, it's about you both vs the topic. Getting on the same page is key to successful teamwork.
Need some additional help on how to start these conversations? Set up a 30-min chat with me and I'll help you out.